Monday, April 13, 2015

North American History Recap 4/6

Hello class!

Last week's class
Last week we watched Episode 2 of the John Adams mini-series called "Independence." I think this movie did an excellent job of capturing the mood of many of the Founding Fathers regarding whether or not to declare independence from Great Britain. I hope you enjoyed it.

I think John Adams also serves as a reminder that history is much more complex than we sometimes make it out to be. America declared its independence and fought in the Revolutionary War, but not everyone agreed it was the right thing to do and many people's lives did not change after the War. However, it remains a significant event because of the events that led to it and how it changed and shaped, and continues to shape, America's development.

Essays
I am finishing your essays today and we have lots to talk about regarding historical writing. I intentionally let you write without much instruction so I could see what we need to work on most. I can say that we all need to work on:

1. Using our own words.
2. Citations.
3. Staying on topic.
4. Supporting claims with evidence.

We will talk more about his in class this week and hopefully our next paper will be better. Many of you have great ideas and clearly made an effort in this assignment.

Tuesday and Friday
Remember to look over the handout on the Declaration of Independence and the Revolutionary War that I gave you on Friday. We will discuss that, discuss your papers and review this week. We will take a quick glance at the Constitution and Review for our exam.

I hope you had a great weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment