Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Topic+controlling idea+2 subtopics=Topic Sentence

Isn't campus beautiful these days? I love spring and the cherry blossoms! Are you enjoying the weather?

Okay, keep reading. Time to get down to business. 

I took this picture Saturday in the rain on my run.

Yesterday in class we studied how to write a topic sentence.

It's easy. Think of a topic. Ask a question. Then think why or how? Here is a formula to remember.

Topic+controlling idea+2 subtopics=Topic Sentence 

Think of your topic sentence as an umbrella. The topic should cover the rest of your paragraph.



1. TOPIC-  I want to write about studying English. 

2. CONTROLLING IDEA- What do I want to say about "studying English?" How about "it's fun." Or "it's hard." Or "it takes patience."  I think I want to write that "it is beneficial."

3. 2 SUBTOPICS- Now I need to think of how or why? How is English beneficial? Why is English beneficial? I think it is beneficial because it enables me to communicate with more people and increases my job opportunities. 

OK! I got it!

"Studying English is beneficial because it enables me to communicate with more people and it increases my job opportunities." 

Done

Now we have a topic sentence that has mapped out the rest of our paper. Well done!

Think of how you could write a paper about "eating healthy." Show me your work and I will give you extra points!


No comments:

Post a Comment